Fragrant, sweet and warm taste of cinnamon is an ideal spice to use in winter season. But due to its medicinal properties and countless health benefits it can be consumed all round the year. It is one of the feel good foods and revs up your mood. The scent reminisces of the fall and brings back sweet memories of childhood. You can make cinnamon a part of your daily diet. Add a dash of cinnamon on your toast, sprinkle cinnamon powder in your oatmeal or hot cereal, and infuse cinnamon stick in your tea or juice.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
- Hale and Hearty- As cinnamon is blessed with the ability to lower cholesterol and improves blood circulation it also cuts back the risk of heart disease. Cinnamon keeps your heart healthy. But you need to avoid indulging in unhealthy binging and steer away from sedentary lifestyle.
- Regulates Blood Sugar- Cinnamon keeps your blood sugar in check and even if you are non-diabetic then it helps regulate blood sugar levels. Stabilizing blood sugar levels promotes weight loss and keeps you agile and focused throughout the day.
- Improves Brain Function- Cinnamon delays or reverses cognitive decline. A study in rats found that consuming cinnamon leads to improved cognition and reduced oxidation of brain. If you are mentally taxed or drained then try chewing cinnamon gum or smell the aroma of cinnamon it gives you mental edge to keep your day happy and jovial as the aroma of cinnamon is considered as a brain booster.
- Prevents Tooth Decay and Gum Disease- Cinnamon is endowed with antibacterial properties which plays an important role in getting rid of harmful bacteria which damages your teeth or gums. Cinnamon oil is often used in chewing gums, mouthwashes, toothpastes and breath mints as it helps in fighting harmful bacteria.
- Happy Gut- Consuming cinnamon keeps digestion tract free of problems like diarrhea, indigestion and constipation. A clean digestive tract helps you think properly and keeps mood swings at bay as there is a strong connection between gut health and brain health. The antibacterial and antimicrobial properties of cinnamon flushes out harmful bacteria from your digestive tract.
- Improves Metabolism- Cinnamon is a must in the diet of people who are on weight losing spree. It has the ability to rev up metabolism and helps you to lose weight. In order to gain maximum benefits of cinnamon make cinnamon a daily part of your diet and add at least a teaspoon of cinnamon every day.