With the fast paced lifestyle where people are working with the ticking of clock there is hardly any time to look after one’s hair. Hair fall is a common phenomenon both in men and women. Thinning of hair and baldness can be signs of debilitating health. While on an average an individual looses 100 strands of hair regularly which is not a sign of worry as it gets replenished with time. But if you witness excessive hair fall on your pillow or hair brush then there is an urgent need to address this problem.
The major precursors of hair fall are genetics, stress, hormonal imbalance, under active thyroid gland, pollution, nutritional deficiencies and inadequate blood circulation on scalp. Long and healthy tresses enhances one’s beauty and personality whereas thin and rough hair has a counter affect on one’s personality and alleviates one’s sense of self-worth.
Instead of fretting and fuming over hair loss. Here are some tips to maintain healthy tresses
1. Oil Massage- Massaging your hair not only increases the blood circulation and directly provides nutrients to the hair but also acts as a stress buster. Oiling twice or thrice a week from castor oil, coconut oil or almond oil aids in hair growth and prevents hair breakage thus strengthening and nourishing your hair.
2. Snipping of Hair- Regular exposure to searing heat and pollution makes the hair prone to damage and spilt ends. So it is advisable to go for trimming every six to eight weeks as it promotes healthy hair and reduces hair damage
3. Abstain Styling of Hair- Styling your hair is a fad but many don’t realize that it has an adverse affect on one’s hair. People indulge in various hair styling such as perming, smoothening, straightening which makes hair brittle and weak. They also apply colours and chemicals which tend to have an ill affect on hair. Gradually hair losses its sheen and shine thus leaving them lifeless.
4. Nutritious Diet- Eating a diet rich in proteins, minerals and vitamins is indispensable for healthy and strong hair. Include wide array of foods like dairy products, fruits, green leafy vegetables, sea food and nuts. Keep your body hydrated to maintain water content as dehydration augurs dry skin and lifeless hair. So drink plenty of water and fluids to combat hair loss.
5. Minimize Stress- High level of cortisol triggers excessive hair loss and also hinders hair growth. Besides eating healthy it is also important to follow a daily exercise regime (yoga, meditation, brisk walk) as it keeps stress at bay. A sound sleep of 7-8 hours is a prerequisite to maintain healthy hair.