Venturing out of home in summers is a dreaded task as it is accompanied by giddiness and perspiration. Searing and sweltering summers drains ones energy and often keeps one’s appetite at bay.
We have an irresistible inclination to gulp fizzy and sugar laden drinks to ward off blistering heat without realizing that these drinks offer a short hiatus from heat and are high on calories. It’s best to opt for natural drinks and veggies that are packed with nutrients as it not only refreshes us but are also healthy for gut.
Foods that Beat the Heat
- Water- Water touted as the elixir of life keeps the body hydrated and cool. It is indispensable to maintain healthy functions of body cells. Drink plenty of water to restore the loss of essential nutrients due to sweating and dehydration. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated.
- Cool Drinks- Drink lemonade, coconut juice, aam panna, buttermilk and fresh fruit juices to relish summers without worrying about the heat. These drinks keeps you rehydrated and satiated for long intervals without worrying for the calorie intake and replenishes the salt and sugar lost due to sweating.
- Curd– Curd is an antidote for health. Curd is tailor made for summer season as it has cooling properties thus staves off heating. This probiotic not only keep gastrointestinal troubles away but also keeps a watch at your digestive system.
- Fresh Fruits- Include a diet rich in wide array of fruits i.e. watermelon, lemon; orange, sweet lime should be consumed during sultry weather as they are rich in water content. Consuming these fruits rehydrates the body and provides vitamins and minerals thus keeping accentuated energy levels during summers when one tends to get sluggish and lazy.
- Salads- Consume lettuce, cucumber, onions and corns as salads as it is not only a crunchy delight but is high on water content thereby thinning the blood and keeps you cool and in renewed vigor in summers.
Spice and oil makes food sumptuous but in summers it is imperative to avoid spicy, oily foods and non-vegetarians should restrict consumption of red meat, fish and chicken as it makes the body to sweat profusely culminating into digestion problems.
One should also curb intake of tea, coffee and sugar laden beverages as it dehydrates the body keeping you drained and making your face flushed. Stay Cool and Stay Happy and include the above mentioned diet and savor summers without any glitches in your digestive tract.